Saturday, April 9, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

A few weeks ago when I made something with eggplant, Josh admitted after years of "hating" eggplant...that he now liked it!  Awesome!  Because I LOVE eggplant. 
I saw a recipe for this last week while trying to plan my weekly menu, but I have my own version in my head.  As far as the amount of ingredients...I can't really help with that, this one is all feel.  If you knew my Nana, you would enjoy this comment.  "A pinch of this, a dash of that, as much as you 'feel'." 

I start with a quick sauce.  Saute some onions and garlic in a pot...add crushed tomatoes...and season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.

Next I bread and fry the eggplant.  Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices...coat with all purpose flour, egg wash, and then breadcrumbs (I add crushed red pepper and pecorino-romano cheese to mine).  Drain and cool on paper towels.
Finally, in a baking dish, I layer first the eggplant topped with shredded mozzarella cheese, and finally the sauce.  I continue to layer like this until I reach the top of the pan.  This particular time, I used a 9x9 baking dish and it was perfect for our dinner and for Josh to have left-overs for lunch! 

Eva even liked the few slices of the breaded eggplant that were left over. 

A few times I have even added a few extra layers...for example...ground beef or roasted red peppers or fresh basil.  They all add a little more delicious-ness to this already yummy dinner.   I hope you ENJOY!

"Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly."



No comments:

Post a Comment