Friday, April 1, 2011

Jambalaya

I have to admit the last time that I made Jambalaya, I totally cheated.  I saw a boxed mix that you just added Chicken and Sausage and/or shrimp to and serve over instant rice.  When I needed some inspiration last week for some recipes and three people mentioned Jambalaya, I knew I couldn't go that route again!!

I searched the Internet and my cookbooks for a recipe that would catch my eye and found nothing, so I put them all together and just made this one up!  A few recipes that I saw called for chicken and sausage...a few others called for ham...and then shrimp and bacon in another.  Why not use them all?  I have it all in the freezer anyways! 

When I think Jambalaya, I think spice, and the only thing I didn't do was add the spice as I was cooking this.  It was delicious, but I'd rather have the "kick" cooked in rather than added afterwards.

And one other thing...unless you are cooking for a small army...I'd cut this recipe in half!

JAMBALAYA
Prep time:  25 min.    Cook time 40 min.

6 slices of bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 cup chopped celery
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion chopped
1/2 lb. cooked ham, cubed
1/2 lb. cooked chicken, cubed
1/2 lb. smoked sausage
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. thyme
2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
2 cups uncooked white rice (not instant)
1/2 lb. uncooked shrimp

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add bacon and cook until crispy.  Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and put aside.  Add celery, bell pepper and onion to bacon drippings and cook until tender.
Add the chicken and sausage to the pot, along with the tomatoes, beef broth and chix broth.  Add thyme and Cajun seasoning.  Bring to a boil, and add the rice.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer (stirring occasionally) for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender.
Stir in the shrimp, let cook 3-5 minutes.
Stir in the bacon right before serving.

I tend to use up a lot of things left in the fridge, so I used half a yellow pepper, half an orange pepper...and I also added another full cup of water before I added the shrimp...it seemed a little dry to me.  This dish came out fabulous though!  I highly recommend it!

"Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment