Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cream of Mushroom Soup

I write my grocery lists on Sundays.  I get with the troops and ask them what they'd like to eat for the week.  Usually, if you know my family at all, it has a lot to do with taco's and taco's and UMMMMM...let's just spice it up and have "Fine, Mom...chicken fajitas."  Normally, I tell them they each get two dinners to decide,  I get two dinners and the day left is either 'left over' or 'order out' day.  Last week, after grocery shopping on Monday, when I bought all the food I needed for the week, I was all set!  That is until I couldn't move off the couch.  Sick as a dog.  With a full week and weekend of things planned, I never left the house.  I did however, leave the couch.  Feeling rather under the weather, I had gotten up and made this soup, because I planned my week with this in it.  I had purchased all the ingredients, and I felt like if I didn't make this soup, they'd be wasted.  So...I think it was Saturday, but I finally made it.  And it was DEEEE-LICIOUS!!! 

My guys, not real huge fans of mushrooms, even loved it!  Unbelievable!  I guess they have become fans since I LOVE mushrooms.  It is a rich tasting soup, without all the rich ingredients.  Josh was really surprised. It contains only a half cup of whipping cream.  The "creaminess" actually comes from rice which is cooked in broth and then pureed.  It uses two pounds of mushrooms and has an intense mushroom flavor.  I used a mix of regular mushrooms and baby bellas. 

Needless to say, now the boys are sick and what do they want to eat for dinner??  "More mushroom soup mom!"  I love these people.  Back to the stove I go! 

Have a great day.  If you'd like the recipe, just "follow" my blog, and I'll send it.

1 comment: