Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cajun Bean Soup

Someone told me once that it isn't the spices in a Cajun dish that make it authentic, its the trio of onion, peppers, and celery.  I am not sure how much I agree with this.  I have always thought  "Mmmm...Cajun.  Must be spicy!"  However you think of it...this was a very tasty, spicy meal that I was totally in the mood for!

Cajun Bean Soup

Start to finish about 35 minutes

  • 2 tsp. cooking oil
  • 1 1/4 C. chopped onion
  • 1/1/4 C. chopped green pepper
  • 3/4 C. chopped celery
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 C. chicken broth
  • 2 1/2 C. water
  • 1- 14oz. can stewed tomatoes
  • 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
  • 1- 15oz. can navy beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1- 15oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4oz. cooked smoked turkey sausage, sliced  (I used Wegmans HOT poultry sausage)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • Bottled hot pepper sauce (I used sriracha)
  • 4 cups hot cooked rice

1.  In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic and cook until tender, about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.  Stir in the broth, water, undrained tomatoes, okra, beans, sausage, bay leaf, thyme, black pepper, salt and if desired, hot sauce.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes until okra is tender.  Discard the bay leaf.  Serve over rice.

Makes 8-  1 1/2 C. servings.

Josh's suggestion...more beans/less okra.  I thought it was just fine.
My suggestion...serve with some crunchy fresh bread instead of over rice.

Have a great weekend.
"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play
each time with a variation."

No comments:

Post a Comment