Monday, June 13, 2011

Simple Roast Beef Stroganoff


Not that you care, but Josh and I were simply bumps on a log yesterday.  To start with, we woke up FAR to early for a Sunday (thank you Eva!), then I was barely through my cup of coffee and the doorbell rang.  I forgot I had booked a hair client this early!   Luckily it was Josh's cousin, and she didn't mind I was still in my pajamas.  After doing her hair, Josh talked me into a haircut as well...and by 11am I was pooped.  The weather was so in and out...it couldn't decide if it wanted to be sunny or if it thought it was going to rain.  We tried to keep gearing ourselves up to go do yard work, but ended up right where we started...the couch. 
 Around 2:30pm, Josh started his plea for dinner.  Which usually starts with "I'm starting to get hungry, what were you thinking for dinner?"  and proceeds to get more annoying every twenty minutes...(but I love him).  I wasn't really in the mood to cook, but with these 15minute recipes...how could I not?  I told him I could make Mexican tostadas, or this beef stroganoff.  He chose the beef!  I couldn't believe my ears. 
About 3:30 he was still bugging me about when we were going to eat and I asked him what time he wanted to eat.  He said he wanted to be sitting and eating by 5pm.  "No problem!" I told him, yet didn't move from my spot.  I could see him getting more and more nervous, so I finally got up about 10 minutes after 4  and started to make this meal.  We were sitting and eating at 4:37.  HA!

Simple Roast Beef Stroganoff

Original recipe from Weight Watchers Summer 2011
PointsPlus value per serving= 8

  • 3 C. uncooked medium egg noodles
  • Cooking spray
  • 1- 8oz. pkg. presliced mushrooms (I used baby Bella's)
  • 1- 17oz. fully-cooked beef roast Au jus (such as Hormel)
  • 1- 8oz. container light sour cream (I used regular because I had it)
  • 1- 10 3/4oz. can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (I used regular because I had it)
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 C. chopped green onions (optional)  (I used chives from my herb garden)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2.  While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add mushrooms to pan; saute until tender.
3. While mushrooms cook, microwave roast according to package directions.  Strain roast, reserving 1/3 C. jus.  Break roast into bite sized chunks using a fork.
4.  Drain pasta, return to pan, and immediately add sour cream and soup until blended.  Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.  Gently stir in roast, reserved jus, mushrooms, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.  Garnish with green onions if desired.

6 servings (1 cup)

I have never bought one of those Hormel Roast Beef packages before, and I was quite skeptical about it.  Much to my surprise, it was very good!  I will definitely try it again (and there were some other recipes on the inside of the package that sounded mighty good too!).   p.s.  For this recipe, I never drained the roast, I used all of the jus.  And I shredded it more than made bite sized pieces out of it.

Yes, Josh was shocked that it was so quick and easy!  He raved about it as well!  He went back for seconds...and later on, thirds.  WOW. 

Despite the fact that the only real thing we did all day, other than haircuts and  take Eva for two walks and a short bike ride,  at least we had a home cooked meal!  IN TWENTY MINUTES!  I love it! 

This week I'm doing "dad quotes".  Happy Father's Day to all dads...and Happy Birthday Joshy!  <3

"A Father carries pictures where his money used to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment