Friday, June 24, 2011

Vegetable Strudel

I think I mentioned the boys wanted Sloppy Joe's for dinner which is fine by me, but I wasn't going to eat them...so I looked around to see what I had and this is what I came up with.  The prep time is about 35 minutes... so it is definitely no 15 minute meal.  I think I've been spoiled by Weight Watchers.  It turned out pretty well, but was missing something...any ideas??

Vegetable Strudel

  • 5 C. fresh spinach
  • 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
  • 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1-inch strips
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 1/2 C. sliced mushrooms
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 1/4 C. oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • Dash of crushed red pepper
  • Cooking Spray
  • 6 sheets of frozen phyllo dough, thawed
  • 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
Filling:
1. Place the spinach in a large colander; set aside.  In a large saucepan, bring 4 C. of water to a boil and add sweet pepper, squash, carrots, mushrooms and green onions.  Boil for 2 to 3 minutes.  Pour over spinach to drain; rinse immediately with cold water.  Drain well, pressing out excess moisture.  Transfer veggies to a large bowl.  Stir in the dried tomatoes, 2 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.  Set filling aside.

2. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.  Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a dry kitchen towel.  Spray with cooking spray.  Place another sheet on top; spray with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs.  Place two more sheets of phyllo on top, spraying each with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.  Add remaining 2 sheets of phyllo, spraying each with cooking spray.
3.  Spoon filling along one long side of phyllo stack about 1 1/2 inches from the edge.  Fold in the short sides over the filling.  Starting from the long side with the filling, roll up like a jelly-roll.  (I actually had enough filling to make two rolls...)
4.  Place strudel, seam side down, on the baking sheet.  Spray top with cooking spray.  Using a sharp knife, score into 8 slices, cutting the top layer only.  Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
5.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.  Cut along scored lines into slices.

Makes 4 servings.  (We had 8 servings because I made two rolls.)

This was an OK meal...but I'm just not sure I'll be making it again.  I had all the ingredients on hand, so that was nice, but like I mentioned...it seemed to be missing something.  Josh thought I put a spice in it too that he didn't like.  I didn't, but I agreed.  I am pretty sure I liked the concept better than the actual outcome.  Maybe if I find that missing ingredient (s)??!?

“For the millions of us who live glued to computer keyboards at work and TV monitors at home, food may be more than entertainment. It may be the only sensual experience left.” 
I could not agree more...

No comments:

Post a Comment