Friday, June 10, 2011

Quick Paella

They started replacing our roof this week.  I love that it is getting done, but it is like having a swarm of bees outside.  They are EVERYWHERE.  In every window, in every sky-light...all over.  And although I am sure they are not watching me, I feel like I am in a fish bowl. 
I am again thankful to have these quick recipes so I don't have to be slaving in the kitchen...while they watch....

Quick Paella

Original recipe from Weight Watchers Summer 2011
PointsPlus value per serving: 8

  • 1/4 tsp. saffron threads
  • 1/3 C. hot water
  • 2 tsp. salt-free Southwest chipotle seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
  • 12oz. peeled and deveined shrimp (I love the Wegmans shrimp from Belize, uncooked...even though I have to peel it)
  • 1/2lb. chicken breast tenders, cut into bite sized pieces.  (I used a whole pkg.  It was at least 1lb.)
  • Cooking Spray
  • 2 (8.8oz.) packages microwaveable cooked garden vegetable rice (Uncle Ben's Ready Rice)  (I only used one...)
  • 1/2 C. frozen green peas
1. Combine saffron and hot water in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle chipotle seasoning over shrimp and chicken in a large bowl;  toss well to coat.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray.  Add shrimp mixture to pan and coat mixture with cooking spray.  Cook through, stirring frequently.
3.  Stir in saffron mixture, rice and peas, breaking up any rice with a wooden spoon.  Steam, covered, until rice is thoroughly heated, chicken and shrimp are done and peas are hot.  Fluff with a fork.

4 servings (1 1/2 cups)

Has anyone tried the salt-free flavored Mrs. Dash's seasonings?  OMG!  They are amazing!  I have tried about 3 of them, and they are all so flavorful!  They have some good recipes at mrsdash.com.  They are about $2.75 each and a little goes a long way...

Back to the Paella...
Josh gave the pooh-pooh face at first...because of the saffron coloring I think.  In the end, he commented how delicious it was and that it was a nice light dinner and still filled him up.  What that means is, I am free to make this meal again and don't have to throw away the recipe.  Not that I need it, it was so simple to make!  I hope you like it too!  Have a great day!

"I like rice.  Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."

No comments:

Post a Comment