Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Overstuffed Grilled Vegetable-Feta Sandwiches

Tuesday nights after school, Marcus is with his dad.  Tuesday nights starting June 1st, it is also men's golf league.  So, it's just Cakes and I.  Last summer, my sister usually had a weekly dinner gathering at her house on Tuesdays, but so far I haven't heard anything.  I said I'd do it this year, but this week, the outside of my house is in shambles due to the roof people who obviously don't "clean as they go". 
I decided to make another quick dish out of the Weight Watchers Magazine that I had picked up.  Again, it turned out delicious!  And I do believe... you can NEVER go wrong with 5 ingredient, 15 minute recipes.

Overstuffed Grilled Vegetable-Feta Sandwiches

Original recipe from Weight Watchers Summer 2011
PointsPlus value per serving= 7

  • 1 1/3 C. yellow squash and zucchini mix  (I didn't really measure...I just used one medium sized squash and two small zucchini's)
  • 4  (1/4 in thick) slices of red onion
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved  (again, I didn't measure, I used what I had left)
  • 3 Tbsp. light Northern Italian salad dressing with basil and Romano (I used Ken's Steak House Lite)
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil  (the first use from my garden this year!  YUM!)
  • 1 (8oz)  loaf French bread, halved lengthwise
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta

1.  Prepare grill.  Make sure it is nice and hot to create grill marks on the veggies and bread.
2.  Coat squash mix and onion evenly with cooking spray.  Place veggies on grill rack; grill until crisp-tender and beginning to brown.  (I tried to skewer them for easier grilling, but I cut them to thin)
3.  Place tomatoes in a medium bowl; add dressing and basil, toss gently to coat.  Add cooked vegetables to tomato mixture; toss well.
4. Coat sides of bread with cooking spray.  Grill bread 1 minute on each side until lightly toasted.  Spoon vegetable mixture over bottom half of bread; sprinkle with cheese.  Top with remaining bread half.  Slice into 4 even pieces.

4 servings (1 piece)

Josh walked in the house from golf just as I was grilling the bread and I asked him if he wanted a sandwich.  He said yes and raved about it from his first bite.  Amazing!  Usually he complains about no protein when I make something vegetarian.  Even this morning he threw out how tasty dinner was last night.  It's nice to not have the pooh-poohing once in awhile!

Give this one a try...it's delicious!  Let me know what you think!

"Eating is a always a decision, nobody forces your hand to pick up food and put it into your mouth."

No comments:

Post a Comment