Thursday, June 9, 2011

White Chicken Chili

I cannot even explain how much I love this new Weight Watchers Magazine.  What I love even more is that all these recipes take 15 minutes to make, including prep time.  I don't think I want to spend more time than this making anything again!

Soooo Whaaaat that I picked the hottest day so far this year and made chili???  We enjoyed it and because it only took 15 minutes, Marcus finished his homework early and got to go on a play date!  And I actually sat down and relaxed for a few minutes.  And I do stress a FEW!

The boys considered this soup and not chili (because it wasn't "traditional"), but it didn't matter to me because they both ate their entire bowl.   We topped ours with sour cream and I put some chopped cilantro on mine...but don't tell Josh!

Let me know what you think! 

White Chicken Chili

Original recipe from Weight Watchers Magazine Summer 2011
PointsPlus value per serving: 6

  • 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
  • 1 1/2 C. chopped onion (we don't love a ton of onion, so I just chopped up 1/4 of a small one)
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 (14oz.) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (I just used regular)
  • 2 cans (15.8oz.) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained (oops...I never drained mine)
  • 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
  • 2 C. chopped cooked chicken (I, of course, used a Wegmans Rotisserie)
  • Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
  • Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add onion, and saute until tender.  Stir in cumin and chili powder; saute 1 minute.  Stir in chicken broth and 1 can of beans.
2.  Mash remaining can of beans with a potato masher (adds body and creaminess); add to soup.  Stir in pepper.  Bring to a boil; stir in chicken.  Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.  Divide mixture evenly among 4 bowls.  Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, or even lime wedges, if desired.

4 servings (1 1/2 cups)

"The people who can most successfully lose weight and maintain a healthy life style are foodies.  When it comes to healthy eating, people who know how to cook and make ingredients taste good have a distinct advantage over those who can't."

No comments:

Post a Comment