Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Asparagus with balsamic-shallot butter sauce

I bought a new cook book the other day.  I am very excited about it!  It is called  "Cooking through the Seasons".  It's easy to get excited about cooking with the seasons, tasting the freshest flavors available! Mmmm, just thinking about the farmer's market makes my mouth water a little...plus all of the colors and textures are so inspiring.
So, my only question has always been...how do you best prepare these vegetables to enhance their natural qualities?  Sometimes I look at a recipe and it turns out a win, other times I feel as though I have ruined the taste and it is a big fat LOSE. 
I feel as though I have been saying that I just use s&p a lot to season our food.  Is that boring?  Obviously I don't think so...it works for us.  I find you really get the taste of the food.
We all love asparagus, and I always have it on hand, whether it is "in season" or not.  In this recipe, the balsamic vinegar and shallots are boiled together until reduced to a syrupy glaze.  The asparagus are cooked in butter and just enough water to lightly steam them. The glaze is then poured over the asparagus to make for a delicious side to our grilled chicken and rice. 
Did I love it?  NOPE! Not even a little.  I felt like the glaze was to rich and potent for the asparagus.  I missed the taste of the vegetable we love the most.  Try it though, see what YOU think.  Let me know.  I'd love someone elses opinion.  Message me for the recipe if you'd like...
Happy Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment