Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Steak au Poivre

Our friends, John and Amy, did the South Beach diet about a year ago and it prompted Josh to do the same...because he eats lunch with John every day at work.  UGH.  Fine.  I was out shopping at the Christmas Tree Shop and saw a South Beach Cookbook that was $4.99.  Can't really go wrong with that one!  So I bought it and we have had quite a few enjoyable recipes out of it.
Needless to say, we are NOT on South Beach right now, but I do like to pull out that cookbook every so often when we need a little break from a carb loaded diet. 
Back to trying to use up things from my freezer...before buying more.  I found some steaks...very nice steaks.  Perfect portion tenderloins from Wegmans.  Great for this recipe I was looking so forward to.
Not exactly the traditional "Steak au Poivre"...this is the healthier version!  Traditionally, I have heard, this means "pepper steak."  You are to prepare a steak covered with peppercorns, which provide a pungent but complementary counterpoint to the rich flavor of the beef, and serve with a whole lot of buttery sauces... again, not something I would make if it was the "traditional" recipe.  Steak au poivre is often accompanied by a pan sauce consisting of reduced cognac, heavy cream, and the fond from the bottom of the pan, often including other ingredients such as butter, shallots, and/or Dijon mustard.  Well...then again, maybe I would.
This steak was served over some lightly sauteed peppers and a very light sauce (part of the South Beach plan).  Add some steamed broccoli on the side and MMmmmm..MMmm GOOD!  And no, I don't think I'm Mr. Food.  LOL.
Have fun today! 

"Your worries are temporary; your strengths are forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment