Friday, March 18, 2011

Banana-Rum-Coconut Cookies

I do not bake.  It is a known fact.  But Josh's mom does...and she's just amazing at it.  I'm sure, like cooking...it takes practice and a lot of experimenting, but I just don't even like sweets, so why waste my time?  And baking is so exact.  I like to add ingredients, remove some, or replace with other things.  Baking isn't something you can do that with.
Josh has asked me repeatedly to ask his mom for some of her recipes and just try it.  So finally, I asked her!  Only because I was promised diamonds (which I didn't get).  I started with Peanut butter cookies (aka: Toby Cookies)...they were "Good, but not my moms cookies!"
Sometimes the boys just want burgers for dinner...so instead of trying something fancy or different...I just let them have their same old burgers.  Breakfast and lunch are usually a routine also because of our tight schedule (unless it is a weekend).  So I made a different kind of cookies.
I had some bananas that were just perfect for this recipe, which is why I chose it. 
If I had to pick my favorite cookie, it would probably be Oatmeal Raisin and this seemed like a lower-fat version.  They actually turned out Awesome!!!
Today I am going to give you the recipe, because I am just in the mood.  Tough night last night and I really have nothing more to say. 
2/3 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C ripe mashed banana
1/2 C reduced fat mayonnaise
1 tsp rum
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1 C quick-cooking oats
1/2 C flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 C golden raisins
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
Dash of ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place first four ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a mixer until blended.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup and level with knife.  Combine flower and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. 
Stir flour mixture into banana mixture.
Drop dough by 2 tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
Bake at 350 for 19 minutes or until lightly browned. 
Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
Yield: 20 cookies

I was out of parchment paper...so I just cooked them exactly the same on plain cookie sheets...if you are going to do this...I suggest just greasing the sheet first. 
:-)
"Making a home is a form of creativity open to everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment