Monday, March 7, 2011

Grilled Chicken, Mango and Jicama Salad with Tequila-Lime Vinaigrette

I AM SO FAR BEHIND WITH THIS!  Sorry! 
Busy Busy Busy Weekend.  Funerals, surprise parties, shopping for a new car seat for Cakes, and to be honest...one day of much needed cuddling with my family.  No time for typing! 
Any who...I made this for dinner on Thursday of last week.  Not such a big hit with the family.  I guess it wasn't my "favorite" dish either...but it was dinner.  It is more of a summer "sitting on the deck" kind of light lunch rather than what I needed, which was a "comfort food dinner."  Maybe we will try this again in the summer...
If you've never used jicama, I highly suggest trying it!  It's really good.  Found in the supermarket by the root vegetables, it has a thin brown skin,  and juicy white flesh that is really mild in flavor...almost the cross between a pear and a water chestnut.  I have used it a few times before in recipes that called for it, but I've grown to like it, so now I experiment with it.   You start by removing the skin with a veggie peeler and  then cut the flesh into cubes or strips, depending on the recipe.  For this, I cut match like strips.  Because it doesn't brown or become soggy after cutting, you can use it in salads and veggie platters.  I have also added it to spring rolls for crunch, or stir fries, because the quick-cooking lets it stay crisp. 
This recipe has a few steps, but all in all, didn't really take that long to prep. 
1. Marinate the chicken
2. Make the vinaigrette
3. Bake the tortilla strips
4. Make the salad
5. Grill the chicken
6. Assemble and eat
Many of these steps you can do ahead of time and set aside...
If you might like to try this recipe, just leave me a comment...and I'll send it over.

I do just have to throw this in for my own little giggle...there is only two Tbsp. of tequila in the vinaigrette, so you're not gonna get any type of drunk from it (pops!)...lol.  Enjoy!       

No comments:

Post a Comment