Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup

Time to play catch up.  I 've been cooking but not updating...so here goes.

My weekend STUNK.  I won't bore you with the details, but it all started Thursday and I just wanted to crawl under the covers and hide.  Basically I did. 

Friday, I was in such a funk that I was glad this is what was planned for dinner because I made it early (right up to just before you add the cream) and I left.  I had to take a ride...or do something.  When it was dinner time, I just heated it and added the cream and garnishes.

This soup calls for a smoked ham hock, which I have never used before.  It also says if you can't find one that you can just leave it out.  Surprise...didn't they have them at Wegmans!  Although, I wish I would have left it out.  The smoky flavor was just too powerful and it took over the whole soup.  I love smoked foods too, so I was surprised I thought that.

Here is the recipe for you...

1Tbsp Olive Oil
7 slices of applewood smoked bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
1 lb. buttom mushrooms, stems trimmed and cleaned
1 large onion, diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 cup wild rice
6 cups chicken broth
1 smoked ham hock (optional)
15 sprigs fresh thyme, 10 sprigs fresh parsley, 6 sprigs fresh sage, 1 bay leaf  tied together with kitchen twine
5 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sliced chives for garnish
1/2 cup slivered almonds for garnish

Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot over med-high heat.  Add the bacon and cook until crisp.  Add the mushrooms, stirring well to coat in the bacon fat, and spread into an even layer.  Brown the mushrooms.  Stir in the onion, celery and carrot; let cook until the onions are soft.  Add the rice, stirring to coat.  Stir in the chicken broth, ham hock (if using), and herb bundle.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to bring to a gentle simmer.  Cook uncovered until the rice is tender, 30-40 minutes. 
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the flour and whish constantly until the mixture darkens to a caramel color.  (This is called a roux.)
When the rice is cooked discard the herbs. If you've used the ham hock, fish it out and if you'd like take off the meat, shred it and return it to the soup.  Return the soup to a boil and whish in a little of the roux at a time, it should thicken the soup perfectly.  You can adjust this to your taste, but keep in mind that the cream you will add later will thin it out later.  Season with salt and pepper.
When you are ready to serve, heat the soup and then add the cream.  Garnish with almonds or chives if you wish.

I hope you enjoy!

Nobody deserves your tears, but whoever deserves them will not make you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment