Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Turkey Chili with White Beans

Another favorite in our house is chili.  I have also come to perfect this (with a special added ingredient my friend Gary told me about).  I can make chicken chili, beef chili, turkey chili...Josh and Marcus always like it.
I saw this recipe in one of my cook books and decided to try a little something different.  It was Saturday and I had to go to work for the whole day, so I thought if I just make this and leave it for the boys...they wouldn't have to worry about making their own dinner.  They were happy about this until they tasted it. 
First of all, I left the beans on the side and told them to add them in about 10 minutes before they were going to eat. When I got home they also put in two additional cans of red beans (obviously they didn't read the title of the recipe), but they probably thought it was my regular chili anyways.
A lot more spices were called for in this recipe, including the cinnamon and cocoa powder...which I left out AGAIN!  Heh...no one ever let me know if they have added these or not...I'm interested to know if it makes a big difference.  Or if you like it...dislike it...etc.
Remember I had said that I found a great can of crushed tomatoes that I loved the taste of?  Well, they are Tuttorosso Crushed tomatoes...great taste!  The diced tomatoes by Tuttorosso are just as good.  I can only find my "special added ingredient" at Tops.  I haven't been there in awhile, so I was out and also did not add that.  It all explains why they didn't LOVE the chili this time. 
I know I will be making chili again, probably sooner than not, but I'm going to have to go back to my own recipe. 
By the way, I tasted it too, when I got home from work.  They were right...just not the same!
Smile today!
"Give yourself something to look forward to today"

No comments:

Post a Comment