Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chicken, Black Bean, and Goat Cheese Tostadas and Avocado Salsa

Tostadas...a Mexican salad served atop a crispy fried tortilla...diet fare?  I think not.  But here, I lightly fried the corn tortillas in vegetable oil rather than the traditional lard; and the beans and chicken toppings are cooked with only a few tablespoons full of olive oil.  A little bit of goat cheese has a big flavor effect on each serving.
I suppose I just figured I couldn't go wrong with this dish.  Essentially a taco "ish" meal, fully including the black beans and avocado.  YAY!  SCORE!  I win again.  Josh, Marcus and even Cakes loved it! 
Very easy to prepare, you can make the beans ahead, cover and refrigerate.  The chicken can be cooked with simply adding some chili powder and ground cumin.  Then prepare the salad and salsa...and you are all set to go.  
As you probably already know, we typically garnish all of our Mexican meals with a generous dollop of guacamole.  Since I was trying to change things up a bit, I diced the avocado and tossed it with some tomatoes, onions, and a quarter of a jalapeno.  The only thing that was missing was the other avocado I had planned to use.  Marcus and Eva saw it as I was dicing it up and stole it right out from under my knife.  They ate it plain...nothing on it.  Just avocado.  I love that they love one of my favorite foods, so I wasn't terribly upset and the salsa turned out just fine!
If you happen to be wondering why I never add any Cilantro to these dishes, let me assure you, it is not because I don't LOVE cilantro.  I do.  I really, really....really do!  I think it is refreshing...and compliments anything from a peach/mango salad to guacamole to curry dishes.  Josh, however, he is a cilantro HATER.  You really can't get much worse than him.  I have researched it...why people hate it so much (after hearing it is gene related), and to be honest...there are A LOT of people who do not like this herb.  Evidently there are even facebook pages about it (cilantro isn't edible) and web pages (IHateCilantro.com).  Whatever the case...if I buy it, I have to hide it in the basement fridge because G-d forbid it is even in the house.  What do you guys think?  Are you lovers or haters?
Happy Day to you!
"Enjoy the little things, because one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

No comments:

Post a Comment